Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Welcome to My Stuffed World


I was born and raised in San Antonio, Texas. Ever since I was little, I have always collected things. I even have all the things my mom was given when I was born, such as, new baby cards, hospital bracelets, even the umbilical cord (yuk). I just have a hard time letting go of THINGS. I dwell so much in the past that I actually collect memories. Every little token I have kept over the years has some special meaning to me. I like to sit down, dump everything on the floor, and then put each item back in the box.  That is while I am reminiscing.

Over the years I have also collected stuff animals. I have a few that I was given before I could even remember. Most of them I have bought and some were gifts. My last count was around 1,500. I have given some away at times to Santa Rosa Children’s Hospital and Goodwill. I used to spend hours in thrift shops searching for one stuffed character I was missing from a set. Slowly but surely, I would find them, one by one.  I even have a few I ordered back in the day when there used to be coupons in the newspaper. The coupon pages would have sections where you could buy certain products and then cut out and save UPCs and mail them in for items. These are some of my rare stuffed characters that you can’t find anywhere else. One of my favorites is the Kraft Dairy Fairy.

I take especially good care of them and always keep the original tags attached. Most of them are in excellent condition as if I bought them yesterday. I have them arranged around the room from floor to ceiling and in categories, such as, dogs, cats, wild animals, bears, farm animals, Disney sets, Looney Tunes, Warner Brothers, Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network, Care Bears, birds, etc.

2 comments: